Federal state budget institution of science
INSTITUTE OF THEORETICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL BIOPHISICS
Russian Academy of Sciences

ru ИТЭБ (en)

Laboratories

Laboratories

History

The Institute of biological physics of the USSR Academy of Sciences was organized in 1952 on the base of the laboratory of biophysics, isotopes and irradiations headed by A.M. Kuzin. In 1963 the Institute was transferred to the town Pushchino, Moscow region, and on its base the Pushchino scientific center for biological research was being created. Some of the departments and laboratories of the institute have grown late into separate academic institutes.

Directors of the Institute:

  • 1952 - 1956 – A.M. Kuzin
  • 1956 - 1976 – G.M. Frank
  • 1976 - 1987 – G.R. Ivanitsky
  • 1987 - 1990 – E.E. Fesenko

In 1990 the Institute of biological physics of the USSR Academy of Sciences was divided into the Institute of general biophysics of the USSR Academy of Sciences and the Institute of cell biophysics of the USSR Academy of Sciences. The Institute of general biophysics was renamed into the Institute of theoretical and experimental biophysics of the USSR Academy of Sciences.